All enquiries concerning the parishes listed below should be directed to the Bishop of Ebbsfleet's Office unless otherwise indicated.
All appointments are of a parish priest unless otherwise stated. Details of the terms of the appointment are usually available with the parish details.
Team Rector, Heavitree and St Mary Steps
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced priest of the Anglo-Catholic tradition, with missionary zeal, to serve two diverse and well-established city parishes, in a stunning area of the westcountry.
We want to see parishes that are:
The PCC therefore seeks a priest who:
The Bishop of Ebbsfleet writes:
Both Bishop Robert, and I are looking for a priest of real substance and proven capacity to be the new pastor in this team ministry. Our hopes are well summed up in words from the PCC that you will read in the profile. We want to see a parish that is “confident in God’s grace working through the sacraments, being intentional in its evangelism, and serving the common good” – all three working together.
The clergy and people of Heavitree make a very significant contribution to the mission of our church in the city of Exeter, but the team also has a ministry and an influence far beyond its boundaries, even beyond the diocese. As the church wardens make plain in their letter, these churches are “not shrine churches”, they are parish churches. Their worship and mission are sacramental and evangelistic, and both the diocese and the Ebbsfleet family look to Heavitree for encouragement and confidence for the future.
Whatever personal and unexpected gifts a new parish priest will bring – and we are ready for those! – the priority tasks that have been identified for the new incumbent in this profile are:
• investing in the liturgy as the pulse and heart of the parish’s faith and nurture
• building on the solid foundations of faithful teaching, and creative children’s and youth work
• supporting and guiding clergy colleagues, and able to oversee the pastoral formation of a curate
• bridging the gaps between the Church and the more deprived parts of the neighbourhood
• supporting and promoting the work of the St Paul's district youth-worker in the community
• maximising the good will and access of the Church to all the schools in the parish as ways to reach families
• shaping and developing outreach from the ancient and iconic church of St Mary Steps
• developing closer and trusting relationships with the wider diocese and offering leadership to the Ebbsfleet parishes in the diocese
For an informal conversation, please contact the Bishop of Ebbsfleet's office: 07881 875583 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Archdeacon of Exeter, Ven Andrew Beane: 01392 425 577 or email@example.com
For an application form, please go to the Exeter diocesan website vacancies page: www.exeter.anglican.org/vacancies
Closing date: 22 June 2021
Interviews: 13 July 2021
The appointment is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure